Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This comes from my friend's mother. It is so versatile and comes out great every time. I like to make this in a crock pot in the morning and leave it in all day, but you do not have to.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 large onion
- 4 -5 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 5 carrots
- 1 green pepper (optional)
- 1 red pepper (optional)
- 2 potatoes (optional)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mushrooms or 2 (10 ounce) packages fresh mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- dried parsley
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- Saute onions and garlic until onions are clear. Put into a bowl.
- Saute meat until brown.
- Add veggies and onion mixture and saute about 5 minutes.
- Pour in can of tomato sauce, then refill can with water and pour that in as well.
- Add salt, pepper, parsley, and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for about an hour (or until meat is tender).
- In a separate pan, mix some gravy from the pot with flour until it forms a thick liquid. Add to the stew.
This is very good. I used red wine instead of water. It was great.
I cooked this in my crockpot like the last reviewer and it was great!!! I will be making this many times over. I did add loads of garlic though, but thats just me :)
Really good beef stew! I followed the suggestion made by mosma and cooked this in my crock pot on low for 8 hours. It was so nice to put everything together in the crock pot and have a tasty meal ready for supper. I did add more carrots and potatoes, added 1 green pepper, 1 can of diced tomatoes, and omitted the mushrooms. We like a thinner gravy so I did not thicken it with flour. Thank you for sharing mosma!