Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Not Dinty Moore ;)
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons herbs, of your choice
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cups beef broth
- 5 large carrots, peeled
- 3 large potatoes, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- Cut 3 lbs. boneless beef for stew into 1½" chunks and season liberally with salt, pepper, and any other herbs.
- Dredge beef in all-purpose flour, shake off excess, then brown on all sides in about 2 T. olive oil in a large pot.
- Add to the pot 1 cup chopped onions, and sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of dried herbs (your choice), and pour in 3 cups beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a soft simmer and let cook until meat is tender. About an hour.
- Add 5 large carrots peeled and cut into 1" slices, 3 large potatoes peeled and cut into 1" chunks, and 3-4 cloves of garlic, smashed.
- You may want to add a bit more beef broth if it has reduced down a lot. Season to taste with salt and pepper (about 1/2 teaspoons each).
- Cook with the beef until the carrots and potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.