Don't let the list of simple ingredients fool you! This is an excellent stew, and the recipe couldn't be any simpler. I can't recall where the recipe came from, but I've been making this for over 40 years! I've tried many other stew recipes, but none beat the ease and taste of this one.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat (I usually get a beef round piece and cut it myself)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans mushroom gravy
- 1 cup v 8 vegetable juice
- 0.5 (2 ounce) packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix (I use almost the entire package)
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut
- 4 -6 boiling onions, peeled and cut (optional)
- Brown meat in oil, drain.
- Add next 4 ingredients. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place potatoes, carrots, and onions (if using) in casserole dish and top with meat mixture.
- Cover and bake in a 350°F oven for 1 ½ hours.