Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Don't let the list of simple ingredients fool you! This is an excellent stew, and the recipe couldn't be any simpler. I can't recall where the recipe came from, but I've been making this for over 40 years! I've tried many other stew recipes, but none beat the ease and taste of this one.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat (I usually get a beef round piece and cut it myself)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans mushroom gravy
- 1 cup v 8 vegetable juice
- 0.5 (2 ounce) packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix (I use almost the entire package)
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut
- 4 -6 boiling onions, peeled and cut (optional)
- Brown meat in oil, drain.
- Add next 4 ingredients. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place potatoes, carrots, and onions (if using) in casserole dish and top with meat mixture.
- Cover and bake in a 350°F oven for 1 ½ hours.
My family really enjoyed the stew. My husband thought it was one of the best recipes I've tried. I thought it tasted pretty good, but next time I'll make a beef gravy from beef broth and a rue, instead of using the canned mushroom gravy.
You are so right when you say it's easy and good! I really liked the fact that it wasn't to soupy. As a personal preferance, I will add some mushrooms next time. :)
Oh My, This was SOOO good. I actually doubled the recipe and the only thing I changed was to add 3 fresh green onions. I baked it for about 3 hours...turning the temperature down to 300 degrees after 2 hours- the meat was soooo tender & my whole family enjoyed it. Excellent & Thanks for sharing it. I will be making this again.