Recipe by Bobbie
Don't let the list of simple ingredients fool you! This is an excellent stew, and the recipe couldn't be any simpler. I can't recall where the recipe came from, but I've been making this for over 40 years! I've tried many other stew recipes, but none beat the ease and taste of this one.
Top Review by marieelena
My family really enjoyed the stew. My husband thought it was one of the best recipes I've tried. I thought it tasted pretty good, but next time I'll make a beef gravy from beef broth and a rue, instead of using the canned mushroom gravy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat (I usually get a beef round piece and cut it myself)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans mushroom gravy
- 1 cup v 8 vegetable juice
- 0.5 (2 ounce) packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix (I use almost the entire package)
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut
- 4 -6 boiling onions, peeled and cut (optional)