Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Plain and simple. Not rocket science, but you have to use the soup. Put in the oven and walk away. I have tried it in a crock pot but prefer oven method.
- 2 lbs chuck steaks, trimmed and cut in cubes
- 6 carrots, cut in thick slices
- 2 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 1 large potato, cut into large dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 0.5 (10 1/2 ounce) can water or 0.5 (10 1/2 ounce) can dry red wine or 0.5 (10 1/2 ounce) can beer
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- In a lidded deep casserole dish, combine beef, carrots, onions, potato and bay leaf.
- In a mall bowl mix together soup, seasoning and whichever liquid you choose and pour over beef mixture.
- Cover with foil and then the lid.
- Bake stew for 5 hours, after the first 2 hours check to see if there is enough liquid, check every so often after that.
- Sometimes I add sliced mushrooms and finish with parsley, but remember this is stew.
The seasonings are great. It gave a great taste to the beef. I used beer. We would have like the gravy to be more thick. It was too liquid. Thanks abloom :) Made for All you can cook buffet