Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not a steamed burger but a sloppy joe type of sandwich. I'm sure you could also use ground chicken or pork for this. I'll have to try that myself!!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika, not hot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Over medium high heat brown ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink and onions are translucent.
- Drain mixture to remove fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
- cook over medium to medium low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
This is worth 4 stars but to qualify my rating keep in mind the context: sloppy joes! I've made this twice now, both times I used a whole onion instead of a half. The first time I made it, this was the only change I made and it was great. The second time, the mixture tasted a little bit on the bitter side so I added a few tablespoons of soft dark brown sugar and that solved it. The 1/2 t cayenne might be too much, so start with half that and then add more as you taste it if you are going to be feeding kids. Thanks, marypage -- I wish I knew why they were called "steam burgers"... any idea?