Prep 25 mins
Cook 14 mins
This has a Latin American influence in the chile rub and creamy gravy made from avocado and tomatillos. Adapted from BH&G magazine. Enjoy!
- 2 (12 ounce) rib eye steaks or 2 (12 ounce) top sirloin steaks, cut 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 avocado, halved,seeded,peeled,and cut up
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 -12 green onions, trimmed to 6 inch lengths
- 4 -6 jalapeno peppers
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- Trim fat from around the edges of beef rib-eye steaks.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, chili powder, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Pat onto both sides of the steaks.
- Let steaks stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile for sauce, in a small saucepan combine the quartered tomatillos and water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until soft.
- Stir the cream cheese into tomatillo mixture until melted; cool mixture slightly.
- In a food processor bowl or blender container combine the tomatillo mixture, the avocado, sliced green onions, and salt.
- Cover and process or blend until sauce mixture is smooth.
- Transfer sauce to a serving bowl.
- Prepare charcoal grill or preheat gas grill.
- Grill steaks on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals to desired doneness, turning halfway through.
- Allow 14 to 18 minutes for medium rare and 18 to 22 minutes for medium.
- If desired, brush the whole green onions and jalapenos lightly with oil; grill jalapenos about 10 minutes or untiil soft and lightly charred, turning occasionally.
- To serve, slice steaks.
- Serve with sauce, grilled jalapenos, and green onions.
- Sprinkle with tomato.
Zippety Doo Dah! This is fantastic. I usually like my steaks naked ( the meat, not me) but I love tomatillos so I had to try this. WOW. I plan on trying this with pork tenderloins next. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe!!! I would give it more than 5 stars if I could.
This was so delicious!!! I loved the spice rub mixture and it was a great combination with the creamy avocado sauce. I was a little indulgent and cooked up 2 very thick steak fillet's for my hubby and me which we ate every bite of. I made the spice rub amounts exactly the same even though just for 2 as the steaks were so large. We really loved this one and I loved how easy it was to prepare. A truly fantastic steak recipe Sharon. A combination I never would have thought of trying, but it works so well and is totally delicious. It has definitely gone straight into favourites for us.
I'm trying this recipe because Kim said it was sooo delicious AND her photo made me crave it since she posted it! Tonight was the night and boy am I glad I made this! Delicioso! One of my favorite steak recipe now! Thank you Sharon for another excellent recipe. Made while touring C/S America with my Babes on ZWT4.