Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is different and produces a very tender and flavorful steak with delicious gravy.. Great served with rice or cooked noodles. Although I have not tryed it as yet, I imagine that thick cut pork chops would work well usung this recipe.
- 2 lbs round steaks or 2 lbs sirloin steaks
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 slices lemons
- 3 medium sliced onions
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 -4 fresh minced garlic cloves (or less to suit taste, I like lots)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock or 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- seasoning salt
- 1 cup canned whole mushroom, drained (or more if desired)
- 8 ounces cooked broad egg noodles or 2 cups cooked rice
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut the steak in serving pieces.
- Brown both sides in 3 Tbsp oil, to which the 4 slices of lemon have been added.
- Remove steak to a large baking pan (If desired the lemon and the oil can be added to the pan with the steak, or you may discard).
- Layer the onions and the garlic over the meat.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly on top of the steak.
- In a bowl, combine the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce beer, brown sugar, parsley, thyme, seasoning salt, pepper and the 1 cup whole mushrooms (if using) Pour evenly over the steak and the flour in the baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve on a platter with cooked rice or noodles.
I didn't get to eat any of this because my kids inhaled it while it was gone, and my hubby is not the most descriptive person in the world, but here goes a shot at a review. The meat was very tender, gravy was good. The only problem we had was the flour didn't all end up into the broth when it was done but 30 seconds of whisking took care of it. The kids say I have to make it again. Thanks again Kitten!
This, for some reason, was just "OK" for us. The recipe works and the meat very tender. Served with rice.
This was FANTASTIC. I wish I could think of a really great adjective to describe how delectable this tasted, but it was so yummy that words escaped me. You won't believe the aroma as this cooks, it is enough to make your mouth water. My dh took one bite, looked up at me with a huge smile and said "5 stars". I used round steak and a really good Lager beer. I also used fresh mushrooms, a medium vidalia onion and included the lemons, oil and browned bits after searing the round steak. I think next time the only adjustment I will make is to omit a tablespoon or two of the brown sugar and I don't think I will include the lemon while baking. That is just a personal preference, but it is still fantastic if you leave it. We will most definitely be making this again! It is so easy, the sauce is wonderful and the meat is fork tender. Thanks for a WONDERFUL recipe KC!