Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came with my TOH magazine. Haven't tried it, but wanted to post it for safe keeping!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlicover medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the mushrooms, salt, oregano and pepper. Add the spinach, soup and sour cream. Stir in half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
We enjoyed this very much. I substituted ground turkey for the beef, fresh spinach leaves for the frozen, cream of mushroom soup instead of celery (because that is what I had on hand), and added some crumbled feta cheese prior to baking, for a little extra flavor boost. Thanks for posting this keeper of a recipe!
This was terrific mid week meal - enjoyed by all and very easy to do - my only alteration was using cream of mushroom soup. It was a great change from putting beef mince with pasta and I surely welcomed that so thank you for posting.
I just happened on this recipe and had the ingredients so I made it. I followed the suggestions from the other reviewers and used fresh spinach. I also used fresh mushrooms(8 oz sliced), and added them in the second step. Further, I used cream of mushroom soup and omitted the cheese in the casserole, but did sprinkle the top during baking. This was a very easy and delicious dish, and a bit different from the run-of-the-mill ground beef casseroles. Thanks for posting it. I have added it to my ground beef cookbook and will be using it, often....Lee