Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This recipe uses Chinese Five Spice that has ginger,cinnamon,cloves,allspice and cardamon.This roast has zest.The sauce over vegies is a mellow citrus taste and does not overpower. The sauce is great over sliced venison. Cook & serve potatoes separately. Reader will not accept 16.9 oz bottle Green Tea with Citrus.The recipe calls for two bottles but I can't put in the ingredients.
- 3 -4 lbs roast, any cut
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt or salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled, slightly bruised
Fruit or Vegetables
- 4 apples, cored, sliced quarters (optional)
- 2 small onions, thin sliced
- 5 large carrots, split, large chunks
- 2 oranges, peeled, cut in wedges
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled, cut in 8 wedges. (optional)
- 2 turnips, peeled, cut in four wedges
- lemon juice
- fresh lemon slice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 large bay leaf
- lipton green tea
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Make five small slits in the top of the roast diameter large enough and deep enough to insert one small clove in each slit.In dutch oven or roaster add roast and vegetable oil, roll roast over in the pan to coat with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn heat to medium high and sear the juices in the roast, turning until the roast is nice and brown on all sides.
- Pull off heat. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- You can add as many vegetables as you want if you have a favorite.
- Sprinkle Chinese Five Spice on all sides of roast, top and bottom.
- Use the same pan that you seared the roast in or transfer to crockpot.
- Put all the fruit and vegetables in a large bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice and toss around.
- Place on the bottom of roasting pan or crockpot.
- Place the roast on top of the vegetables & fruit.
- Add water and bay leaf.
- Place lemon slices on top of the roast.
- Turn heat on high with covered crockpot. When the crockpot gets hot, add 1 bottle of green tea with citrus on top of the fruit and vegetables. Do not raise the lid while cooking. About four hours cooking in crockpot.
- Covered Roasting pan in Oven: When the roasting pan gets hot, add the 1 bottle of green tea with citrus on top of the fruit and vegetables. Cook 325* 2 hours.Check after the first hour, add a little water if necessary.
- Drain the juices from the roasting pan or crockpot when cooking completed. I take the roast and put on a large platter (keep warm in the oven) drain the roasting pan or crockpot over a colander (save the juices).
- Pile the veggies and fruit around the roast on the platter.
- Note: My family loves A-1 Sauce drizzled over the top of the roast before cutting.
- In medium saucepan, add the saved juices and the bay leaf. Add the cornstarch and whisk. Add the second bottle of green tea with citrus. Turn heat on medium until sauce is thickened. Serve over mashed potatoes or vegetables.
- Note:For extra citrus flavor, squirt a little lime juice in the sauce as it is thickening. This is not in the list of ingredients but just an option.
- Note: Cooking time is oven time only.