Recipe by Amber Matlock
I was looking for a heartier spanish rice that I could serve as a meal. This one did the trick!
Top Review by Jennifer B.
This came out delicious! My 4 kids and husband loved it! Everyone wanted seconds. I made a few small changes, instead of bell peppers I used mushrooms. I also added a little garlic and onion powder. For the can of tomatoes, I used stewed tomatoes. It's a dish you can tweak and make your own according to what you have on hand. I grew up eating this dish, this recipe was much better! Thanks!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 ounces diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Brown the ground beef with the bell pepper and onion until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are translucent.
- 2. Drain ground beef and return to pan.
- 3. Add remaining ingredients (except for cilantro). Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is done.
- 4. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.