1/2 Photos of Beef Short Ribs With Red Chili Sauce
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 40 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 heads garlic
- 4 1/2 lbs short rib of beef
- 3 quarts water
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 large white onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 dried guajillo chilies, stemmed, halved, seeded
- 3 large dried ancho chiles, stemmed, halved, seeded
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1Cut 1 head of garlic crosswise in half.
- 2Place in large pot with ribs, 3 quarts water and quartered onion.
- 3Bring to boil over high heat.
- 4Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until meat is cooked through, about 50 minutes.
- 5Strain, reserving 6 cups meat broth.
- 6Discard onion and garlic.
- 7Reserve ribs.
- 8Preheat oven to 400°.
- 9Wrap remaining head of garlic tightly in foil and place directly on oven rack.
- 10Place tomatoes and sliced onion on rimmed baking sheet.
- 11Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- 12Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 13Roast garlic, tomatoes and onion until tender, for about 1 hour.
- 14Transfer tomatoes and onion to processor.
- 15Using fingers, squeeze garlic from papery skin into processor.
- 16Blend until smooth.
- 17Set tomato sauce aside place quajillo and ancho chilies in medium bowl.
- 18Add 4 cups reserved meat broth.
- 19Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 20Transfer mixture to processor and blend until smooth.
- 21Strain chili sauce into medium blend until smooth.
- 22Strain chili sauce into medium bowl, pressing on solids in strainer with rubber spatula to exct as much liquid as possible.
- 23Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 24Add chili ace; simmer for 5 minutes.
- 25Add tomato sauce, cumin, oregano and cloves.
- 26Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 27Add ribs, vinegar and remaining 2 cups meat broth.
- 28Bring to simmer.
- 29Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until sauce is thick for about 50 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Short Ribs With Red Chili Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (962 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1464.2
- Calories from Fat 1180
- Total Fat 131.1 g
- Saturated Fat 54.6 g
- Cholesterol 258.5 mg
- Sodium 193.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 52.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried guajillo chilies