1/1 Photo of Beef Short Ribs in Cinnamon & Red Wine Sauce
4 hrs 45 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Recipe courtesy of Vikram Vij, Vij's Restaurant, in Vancouver Canada, reported (by Gourmet magazine) to be the best Indian restaurant in North America.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large short rib of beef, bone in with excess fat trimmed off
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or clarified butter)
- 1 large onion, very finely chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic, more to taste
- 1 cup ground fresh tomato
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 piece cinnamon bark (approximately 3 inches long)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, more to taste (preferably Mexican)
- 1In a large, heavy saucepan with fitted lid, melt the ghee on medium to high heat.
- 2Add the cooking oil and the cumin seeds.
- 3Let the seeds sizzle for 30 seconds.
- 4Smell the cinnamon bark before adding to the pot.
- 5If it's very strong, break the bark in ½ and only use half.
- 6If it's not strong enough, add ½ bark.
- 7Add the onions& sauté until the onions are medium brown in colour.
- 8Smell for the cinnamon throughout the cooking process.
- 9You should smell a mild cinnamon flavour instead of a strong one.
- 10If cinnamon is the only spice you smell, take out the bark and continue cooking the curry.
- 11Add the garlic and continue to sauté until garlic is golden brown and onions are a darker brown.
- 12The darker you sauté the onions without letting them burn, the richer the onion flavour will be in this dish.
- 13Temporarily lower the heat and add the tomatoes and all of the remaining spices.
- 14Once you stir the powdered spices in the tomatoes, increase the heat back to medium.
- 15Stir regularly and continue cooking the spices until the oil/ghee separates from the tomatoes.
- 16This will take about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 17If at any time the onions or tomato spice mixture begins to stick to the bottom of the pan or looks like it’s about to burn, either lower the heat or add 1 tablespoon of oil or ghee.
- 18Do not add water.
- 19This is meant to be a rich curry.
- 20Stir in the stock and red wine and bring to a boil.
- 21Reduce heat to low.
- 22Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the oil/ghee separates from the stock and rises to the top, stirring occasionally.
- 23Add the short ribs and stir well.
- 24Bring back to a boil.
- 25Reduce heat to low.
- 26Cover and simmer the short ribs until the meat completely separates from the bone.
- 27This will take approximately 4 hours and you will need to stir occasionally.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Short Ribs in Cinnamon & Red Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.7
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 29.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
short rib of beef