1/1 Photo of Beef Short Ribs in Chipotle and Green Chili Sauce
Here's another recipe for our Chipotle Chili lovers! Enjoy! From Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 meaty short rib of beef, 3 inch-long
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup drained canned diced tomato
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles
- 3 large fresh anaheim chilies, stemmed,seeded,cut into 1/4 inch-thick rings (California)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- 1Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl; sprinkle all over short ribs.
- 2Place ribs on plate; cover and chill 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 4Heat oil in large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat.
- 5Add half of ribs and brown on all sides, about 9 minutes; transfer to plate.
- 6Repeat with remaining ribs.
- 7Reduce heat to medium.
- 8Add onion and garlic to same pot; cover and cook until onion is soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- 9Add broth and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- 10Add tomatoes, lime juice, and chipotle chilies.
- 11Return ribs to pot, meaty side down, in single layer.
- 12Bring to boil; cover and cook in oven until ribs are just tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 13Remove pot from oven.
- 14Tilt pot; spoon off fat.
- 15Place pot over medium heat and simmer uncovered until sauce coats spoon and ribs are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- 16Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- 17(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool 30 minutes, refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated.) Bring ribs to simmer over medium heat; add chili rings.
- 18Simmer until chilies soften, about 10 minutes.
- 19Transfer ribs and sauce to large bowl.
- 20Sprinkle with cilantro; garnish with lime wedges.
- 21*Chipotlechilies canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.
- 22Makes 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Short Ribs in Chipotle and Green Chili Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.4
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 641.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
short rib of beef