Here's another recipe for our Chipotle Chili lovers! Enjoy! From Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Beef Short Ribs in Chipotle and Green Chili Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 meaty short rib of beef, 3 inch-long
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup drained canned diced tomato
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles
- 3 large fresh anaheim chilies, stemmed,seeded,cut into 1/4 inch-thick rings (California)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl; sprinkle all over short ribs.
- Place ribs on plate; cover and chill 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat.
- Add half of ribs and brown on all sides, about 9 minutes; transfer to plate.
- Repeat with remaining ribs.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onion and garlic to same pot; cover and cook until onion is soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Add tomatoes, lime juice, and chipotle chilies.
- Return ribs to pot, meaty side down, in single layer.
- Bring to boil; cover and cook in oven until ribs are just tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove pot from oven.
- Tilt pot; spoon off fat.
- Place pot over medium heat and simmer uncovered until sauce coats spoon and ribs are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool 30 minutes, refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated.) Bring ribs to simmer over medium heat; add chili rings.
- Simmer until chilies soften, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer ribs and sauce to large bowl.
- Sprinkle with cilantro; garnish with lime wedges.
- *Chipotlechilies canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.
- Makes 4 servings.
I made half a recipe for the two of us and it was very good. I had to add water at the end as it was dry and needed something for the sauce. The meat was so tender it fell apart. Served with Baked Sweet potatoes, Lime Cayenne mayo, and crispy corn fritters.
This was very good. The rub is very fragrant and would make for good grilling rub. I braised this on top of the stove and not in the oven. Took the same amount of time and turned out very tender. I would use a bit more chipotle next time as we like really spicy food, but this would make for a good meal to make guests who are not accustomed to hot foods. Thanks Bev. Served this with fried potatoes and braised leeks in cream sauce.
I made these the other day and unexpected company showed up. What a HIT! I fixed a Tex-Mex style risotta with them and some crunchy French Bread. Everyone loved them! I ended up cooking them a little longer and the meat was so tender! Thank you Bev!