Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
A great one for those winter months. It is important make sure the baking dish containing the beef is covered with foil or a tight-fitting lid to minimise the evaporation of the honey mixture.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 pieces beef shanks (1.6kg)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice (300g)
- 800 g gai lan (also called Chinese brocoli)
- Preheat oven to moderate.
- Heat oil in large flameproof baking dish; cook beef, in batches, until browned all over, drain excess oil from dish.
- Return beef to dish, add cinnamon, honey, sauce, garlic and stock, toss to coat beef all over in honey mixture.
- Roast, covered, in moderate oven, for 1 hour.
- Turn beef; roast, covered in moderate oven about 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook rice in large saucepan of boiling water until just tender, drain.
- Boil, steam or microwave gai larn until tender; drain.
- Serve beef, drizzled with pan juices, rice and gai larn.
Very disappointing. I didn't realize the oven temperature wasn't included in the recipe. I guessed 350 and the lowered it to 300. It was very over cooked.