Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is great, if your prefer use your favorite mushrooms.
- 2 lbs skirt steaks, cut into 2 x 2 inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chinese fermented black beans, rinsed and drained (found in Asian markets and some supermarkets)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 2 heads garlic, cloves peeled but left whole
- 1 lb shiitake mushroom, quartered,stems discarded
- 1 cup wine or 1 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce, preferably reduced-sodium
- garlic mashed potatoes (optional)
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium Dutch oven or other heavy pot over high heat, add 1 tbsp.
- of the oil, and swirl to coat the bottom of the pot.
- When the oil shimmers, add the meat (you may need to do this in two batches) and brown on all sides.
- Remove the meat; wipe out the pot with paper towels.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp.
- of oil, and when it shimmers, add the onions, carrots, celery, beans, ginger and garlic.
- Saute over medium heat, stirring, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and wine, stir, and cook to reduce the wine by 20%, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce.
- Return the meat to the pot, add enough water to cover, and cook, covered, until the meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Divide the between 6 bowls, serve over garlic mashed potatoes and serve.