Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From Dependable & Delicious slow cooker recipes.
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, removed from casings (or Italian sausage)
- 1 lb stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, minced (optional)
- 28 ounces tomatoes, drained and chopped (reserve 1/2 cup juice)
- 1⁄2 cup condensed beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- green onion, finely chopped for garnish
- Preheat crockpot.
- In a large skillet cook sausage over med-hi until crumbled and no longer pink. Transfer to slow cooker. Drain all but 1 T. fat from pan.
- Add beef to pan and brown in batches. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions. cook until soft. Add garlic through habanero pepper to pan. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, reserved juice, beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Pour mixture over meat in crockpot and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or Hi for 4-5 hours.
- Add cheese and stir until it melts OR garnish with shredded cheese.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
- NOTE: Habanero peppers are VERY HOT. I usually leave them out, however the original recipe calls for the. Use with caution!
A very good chili. Especially on a cold rainy November night like waht we have been having. I will next time add the habanero. I used a whole cup of the beef broth, added the beans with everything else.