Recipe by nsomniak6
This is from Americas Test Kitchen. They say to partially freeze your meat to make the cutting easier. It really does help! I used Sriracha sauce, for the Asian chili Sauce, but you can use sambal, but it is much spicier. Use 6-inch-long skewers; you'll need about 24. As for dipping sauce, this is what I use http://www.food.com/recipe/peanut-dipping-sauce-with-a-kick-159823
Top Review by aviva
Oh my! Oh my! My family loved this recipe! I used the ingredients as listed except I only put 1 tablespoon of Asian chili sauce so it wouldn't be too spicy for the kids(I used Sriracha sauce.) I couldn't find my skewers so I just cut the meat and poured the marinade over it. Then, after an hour, I laid the meat on my broiling pan and cooked it. The remaining marinade I boiled for a while so I could use it as additional sauce. I served the meat as dinner over brown rice.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Asian chili sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup minced cilantro leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions, both white and green parts, sliced thin
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut flank steak in half lengthwise and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Combine soy sauce and all other ingredients in a measuring cup, set aside.
- Remove flank steak from the freezer and slice each piece across the grain into 1/4 inch thick strips.
- Weave meat onto individual bamboo skewers.
- Dunk meat end of each skewer in the marinade to coat.
- Lay the skewers in a shallow dish, propping up the exposed ends of the skewers to keep them clean.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the meat.
- Refrigerate for EXACTLY one hour (any more and the meat will start to get mushy.).
- Adjust an oven rack to the top position and heat the broiler.
- Lay the skewers in a single layer on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and cover the skewer ends with foil. (May have to broil 2 different sets.).
- Broil 6-7 minutes, flipping the skewers halfway through, until meat is browned.
- Serve immediately.