Recipe by Marlitt
These are easy a little time consuming but worth it. Make a spicy beef packet, great for potluck or finger food snack. Brought them to a get together and everyone enjoyed them told me I could make them again. This is a recipe I got from another site made a few changes to suit what I had on hand.
Top Review by ~*lil_miss_SBC*~
The filling was really good, even my 1 year old ate two big samosas himself (we like ours with ketchup). One layer of phyllo was abit flimsy, so will use two layers next time. Thanks!
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 quart oil (for deep frying)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 50 egg roll wraps
- 3⁄4 cup sweet chili sauce, mango chutney or 3⁄4 cup plum sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan bring some lightly salted water to boil for potatoes.
- Add potatoes and frozen peas.
- Cook until potatoes are tender about 15 minutes.
- Drain, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Brown cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Add in onions and ground beef.
- Saute until beef has all been browned and the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, fresh ginger.
- Season with black pepper, salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and cardamom.
- Stir in the potato mixture.
- Remove from heat and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until cool.
- Remove bay leaves.
- In the meantime, make an egg-wash beating the egg and water in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan or fryer on high to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush both sides of a spring roll wrapper with egg-wash.
- In the corner of the wrapper place about 1 tablespoon of meat and potato mixture.
- Fold wrapper into triangles, (There is usually a diagram on the spring roll wrapper package) pressing edges together making sure edges are sealed.
- Fry until golden brown, in small batches, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
- Can be eaten cold but taste better warm.
- Use sweet chili sauce, mango chutney or plum sauce for dipping.