Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great recado for flavoring beef in preparation for smoking. Adjust seasoning to taste. If using on pork, leave out the onion and add 1 tsp each of coriander seed, mexican cinnamon and allspice. If I am using a smoker for this, I like using 4 garlic cloves, mashed, and adding them after the dry spices are ground well. If I am using higher heat, I use the garlic powder so it doesn't burn and get bitter. Ick! Red Apple has a great barbacoa recipe, #184735, that this would work beautifully on. This rub will keep very nicely in a bag in the freezer.
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili, powdered
- 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon oregano (not Greek)
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a spice grinder and pulverize.
- Rub on all meat surfaces.
- Place meat in ziploc, or wrap with foil/plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.