Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A dish that isn't to difficult to prepare but is great for company.
- 3 slice bacon, halved
- 680.38 g thinly sliced round steaks, 1/4 inch thick
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard
- 3 medium dill pickles, quartered lengthwise
- 59.14 ml finely chopped onion
- 304.75 g cancampbell's beefy mushrooms or 304.75 g can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley
- 118.29 ml celery
- 118.29 ml parsnip (optional)
- 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and quartered
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove and crumble.
- Cut meat into 6 pieces 6 x 4 inches.
- Pound meat.
- Spread each piece of meat with 1 teaspoon mustard.
- Place 2 pieces of pickle and 4 pieces of carrot across the narrow end; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons onion.
- Starting at narrow end; roll up.
- Tuck in ends; fasten with toothpicks.
- Brown roll-ups in drippings; pour off fat.
- Stir in soup, celery, parsnips and parsley.
- Cover, cook over low heat 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Thin with water if desired.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
- Garnish with bacon.
Exellent moist rouladen. This may not be the traditional German rouladen but I love this version. The addition of parsnip pieces in the sauce adds flavor. The only thing I did differently I got everything ready in the AM placed the rouladen and sauce in a baking dish, covered with foil and before dinner baked them for an hour and a half in a 350F oven seved with Spatzle & steamed carrots.The bacon sprinkled on top adds to the flavor and makes a nice presentation I have frozen one serving for future easy meal thanks Audrey for a keeper — Apr 14, 2004 Additional comments: I made this delicious recipe again and once again baked it - I could not believe that I had posted such an ugly picture of this wonderful tasty recipe so have tried to make up for it with new pictures Thanks again Audrey