2 hrs 40 mins
Tastes great with all sorts of side starches, rice, potatoes, or pasta. The recipe can be stretched quite a bit, depending on thin you can get the meat sliced. I actually bought an electric slicing machine so I could slice my own, since the butcher would not cut the meat to my liking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef, bottom round sliced thin enough to make four slices
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 sour pickle, quartered
- 2 tablespoons hot mustard
- white pepper
- 3 tablespoons lard or 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups beef stock or 3 cups water, heated
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup water
- 1Pound the beef slices with a meet mallet to almost double it size.
- 2Spread 1/2 tbsp of mustard on each slice of beef.
- 3Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 4Place onion and pickle on sliced beef.
- 5Wrap beef around filling; be sure to fold in sides first before completely rolling up.
- 6Secure rolled beef with clamp or skewers or thread.
- 7Heat oil on high in a large pot.
- 8Brown beef on all sides in hot oil.
- 9Pour 1 cup stock or water a little at a time onto roulades.
- 10Let stock boil down, to make nicely browned drippings.
- 11Add remaining stock or water.
- 12Turn heat to medium low.
- 13Cover pot with lid and let roulades cook for about 2 hours, or put in 350ºF oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 14Remove from heat.
- 15Remove roulades from stock and set aside.
- 16Bring stock to boil.
- 17Mix cornstarch and water.
- 18Add cornstarch mix to boiling stock to make sauce of desired consistency.
- 19Remove clamps or skewers or thread and arrange roulades on plate.
- 20Pour some sauce over meat.
- 21Serve remaining sauce with baguettes.
- 22Great with tomato salad.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Rouladen
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.3
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 75.1 mg
- Sodium 1036.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 28.3 g