Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My mom used to eat this when she was younger, and she recently introduced it to me. Use super thin steaks for best results!
- 2 lbs beef round steak (super thin rectangular shaped)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large dill pickle
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Spread beef w/ oil and mustard to within 1/2" of edge.
- Sprinkle w/ onion salt & pepper.
- Cut dill pickle into enough lengthwise strips to put one on each steak. Top each steak w/ pickle section.
- Roll up steak tucking in edges.
- In large skillent, brown meat slowly in butter.
- To make suace, mix last four ingredients and pour over beef.
- Let simmer 1.25 hours. Serve hot.
Beautiful tender meat. Here in Austalia tomato sauce means ketchup... nearly stuffed it up :)
Any decent butcher (even most supermarkets) will have beef rouladen pieces. I've been eating these for going on 30 years now and I absolutely love them. For a nice hint of zing, try using, if you can find it, Loewensenf (or another slightly warmer mustard). Also, brown the meat in a skillet (or frying pan) and then finish cooking in the over in a roasting pan (about 45min to an hour at 375). Use the bits in the pan to make your sauce that much more flavourful.