Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
My mom used to eat this when she was younger, and she recently introduced it to me. Use super thin steaks for best results!
- Spread beef w/ oil and mustard to within 1/2" of edge.
- Sprinkle w/ onion salt & pepper.
- Cut dill pickle into enough lengthwise strips to put one on each steak. Top each steak w/ pickle section.
- Roll up steak tucking in edges.
- In large skillent, brown meat slowly in butter.
- To make suace, mix last four ingredients and pour over beef.
- Let simmer 1.25 hours. Serve hot.
Beautiful tender meat. Here in Austalia tomato sauce means ketchup... nearly stuffed it up :)
Any decent butcher (even most supermarkets) will have beef rouladen pieces. I've been eating these for going on 30 years now and I absolutely love them. For a nice hint of zing, try using, if you can find it, Loewensenf (or another slightly warmer mustard). Also, brown the meat in a skillet (or frying pan) and then finish cooking in the over in a roasting pan (about 45min to an hour at 375). Use the bits in the pan to make your sauce that much more flavourful.