Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe sounded like it would be delicious--a very unique preparation for beef! From a cookbook entitled "The Ultimate Cooking Course", 2003.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs beef top round steak, sliced into 8 thin slices & prepared for cooking
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- salt & pepper
- 4 large dill pickles, halved lengthwise or 8 medium dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dark beer or 1 cup beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F Keep flameproof casserole dish WITH LID ready.
- Lay slices of beef (pounded to thickness of 1/4 inch) flat on work surface. Spread each slice with mustard, almost to edges. Season with salt & pepper.
- Place a pickle spear along one end of each slice & roll up neatly. Tie rolls with string or secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in casserole; add beef rolls & fry over med-high heat until browned on all sides. Remove from pan & set aside.
- Add onions to pan and fry until soft & beginning to brown, stirring frequently.
- Return beef rolls to pan and add beer and bay leaf. Bring to boil over high heat.
- Cover pan tightly & transfer to the oven. Cook until beef rolls are very tender (about 1 hour). Turn them over halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Remove string/toothpicks and discard bay leaf prior to serving.
- Serve with rice or potatoes.