Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Something a little different for weeknight dinner.
- 24 -28 ounces top round beef, 4 slices
- 4 slices bacon
- 12 scallions (leave some of the green on)
- 8 carrots, sticks or 8 baby carrots
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 -3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper
- In a large frying pan, lay out bacon, scallions, and carrot sticks.
- Heat until the bacon gets glassy and the scallions are limp.
- Take out and drain on paper towel.
- Pound out each slice of meat,and spread with mustard.
- Top with 1 slice of bacon, 3 scallions, and 2 carrot sticks.
- Roll each roulade tightly and fasten with toothpicks.
- Dust them with flour, salt and pepper if you wish.
- Heat oil in frying pan, put rolled seams down in pan and brown on all sides.
- Take the meat out, pour about 2 cups of broth in the pan and scrape the drippings down. Return the meat to the pan, cover and simmer 45 - 50 minutes.
- Check occasionally, add more broth if necessary.
- This will make a fairly thin sauce. If gravy is needed, thicken with 1 teaspoons flour and 1 teaspoons mustard, which has been beaten into 1/2 cup of cold broth. Stir into meat juice and simmer for another 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning. This dish can be finished in the oven.
- Oven: place the browned beef into a baking dish, pour the broth over it. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 375.
I used only 8 scallions and had babycut carrots on hand so used a handful of them. (Wasn't sure if your ingredients should read 8 carrot "sticks" or 8 carrots?) I also thickened the sauce as you suggested. I prefer a thicker sauce. Thank you for such an easy roulade recipe!