Beef Braciole -- These tasty, tender beef rolls are cooked in a robust tomato and wine sauce. Posting this for ZWT7. The recipe comes from http://www.italianfoodforever.com
- 2 -3 lbs top sirloin steaks, cut Into 6 strips measuring 3 to 4 inches wide
- 4 garlic cloves, finely Minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 6 thin slices prosciutto
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pound each piece of the beef into thin slices. Spread a little bit of the minced garlic, chopped rosemary and grated cheese over each slice. Cover this with a slice of prosciutto, and roll up into a small bundle, securing each with toothpicks.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown all of the bundles well on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a separate dish, and add the onion, carrots, and celery to the skillet.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender. Add the wine, and cook up until it is reduced by half, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, until the sauce has begun to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the toothpicks from the bundles, and return them to the skillet. Add the fresh parsley, and cook until heated through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with a side dish of your choice.
This was delicious...I really didn't taste the prosciutto though...This super easy to prepare...I serve it with spaetzle and red cabbage...I know those two things aren't Italian but they did go well together...Thanks for posting it! Made for Spring 2012 PAC
Amazing flavours! This was so easy to prepare, and the results were fantastic. My only alteration was to add some chopped cherry tomatoes with the canned tomatoes. We all loved this, thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7 - Italy.