Recipe by * Pamela *
A twist on the usual chicken version. These freeze well without the gravy. A twist on the usual chicken version.**edited on October 24 to add instructions for Once a Month Cooking(see step 11) I usually make these during a cooking blitz and freeze them without the gravy until I need them**
Top Review by Mary Ellen Watson
Made this last night for dinner and my husband and I just loved it. Was very easy but, looks like you really fussed when it is done cooking. Can't wait till Wednesday night to have it again (surprisingly, we did have some leftover).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix, dry
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (can be blended in a blender for finer crumbs)
- 8 slices ham or 8 slices bacon
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 5 ingredients.
- Make 8 thin patties.
- Place 1 piece of ham or bacon and 1 piece of cheese in the middle of each.
- Fold over and be sure the cheese and bacon are covered.
- Whip 2 eggs.
- Dip the beef rolls into the egg, then roll in the bread crumbs.
- Place into casserole dish.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees or until done.
- Make gravy with milk, flour, and soup.
- Pour over rolls and bake until sauce bubbles.
- **I usually bake these as directed without gravy, cool, and then freeze in a ziploc bag. Defrost overnight and then add sauce and bake for 1 hour. OR bake from frozen for 1 hour and then top with sauce and back for an additional hour**.