1/2 Photos of Beef Rolls
2 hrs 35 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
Comfort food that is well worth the effort! These delicious rolls contain a filling made with bacon, mushrooms, and FRESH bread slices crumbled-- NO pickle so DH appreciates that. I use sandwich steak, round steak or sirloin and cut into 8 THIN pieces. Serve it with mashed potatoes. Sometimes sirloin is already cut thin which works great! Notice how it is in the oven for 2 hours so you can do something else. Set out your lemon to get it to room temperature. You will need string, cut about 5 inches in length to keep these together. I appreciate puppitypup for noticing that the onions needed explaining.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2-1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs sandwich steaks, cut into 8 THIN pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Melt the butter in a large saute pan and fry the bacon and mushrooms for 3 minutes; put into medium size bowl; do not wash saute pan as you will use it again for Step 7.
- 3Add to mushroom mixture, the chopped parsley, lemon rind and juice, bread crumbs, and seasoning.
- 4Spread an equal amount of the bread crumb mixture evenly over the beef slices, leaving a narrow border clear around the edges.
- 5Put flour onto dinner size plate and mix paprika into flour.
- 6Roll up the slices and tie securely with fine string, then dip the beef rolls in the flour/paprika mixture to coat lightly, shaking off any excess flour into a small bowl and RESERVE for thickening later.
- 7Heat the oil in the frying pan that you used earlier, saute the beef rolls until lightly browned and set rolls in casserole (that has a lid).
- 8Pour into frying pan the beef stock, onions, reserved flour; stir constantly, bring to a boil, stirring, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- 9Taste test the sauce, add more salt and pepper if needed.
- 10Pour the sauce over beef rolls, then cover with tight fitting lid and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
- 11Lift out the "rolls" using a slotted spoon and remove the string.
- 12Return beef to the sauce and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 968.5
- Calories from Fat 612
- Total Fat 68.0 g
- Saturated Fat 26.3 g
- Cholesterol 140.2 mg
- Sodium 1007.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 39.5 g