Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An inexpensive way to serve beef rouladen using cube steaks. Also less fat as these are grilled or broiled rather than browned in oil. These can be made up ahead of time. They're best when done over charcoal. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 6 beef cube steaks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup bottled light french salad dressing
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 slices bacon
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- Marinate in French dressing 30-60 minutes, at room temperature.
- In saucepan, simmer vegetables, covered, in water until tender-crisp, about 7-8 minutes; drain.
- Drain steaks; place about 1/3 cup vegetable mixture on each steak.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion.
- Cut bacon slices in half, crosswise.
- Wrap two half pieces bacon around each roll-up; secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Grill steaks over hot coals, or broil 3-4 inches from heat, 20-25 minutes, turning steaks occasionally.
I have made rouladen before but not with cube steak. I think I prefer it this way. I didn't change a thing with this recipe. I cooked it on the barbecue and it was delicious. Thanks for a great recipe Whisper.