Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 4 ounces smoked ham, chopped fine
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped fine
- 8 ounces onions, minced
- 1 ounce capers, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ounces green olives, coarse chop
- 1 tablespoon green chili pepper, coarse chop
- 3 lbs beef eye round
- salt and black pepper
- 2 ounces bacon drippings
- 8 ounces stock
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the first 7 ingredients to make a stuffing.
- Make an incision 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep along the length of the roast.
- Stuff the stuffing into the incision.
- salt and pepper the roast.
- Brown the roast on all sides in bacon fat in a large heavy casserole.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Check once or twice to make sure that the liquid is not boiling away.
- Add water or unsalted stock as necessary.