Recipe by SusieNYC
A few of my Slavic family and friends have been making these since I was a girl. They are savory and satisfying. Here is my variation so far as spices, however the main ingredients of the recipe are a combination learned from a few terrific cooks and homemakers I've known and learned from over the years. Season to your liking and 'make them your own' - these lend well to experimenting with the flavors and seasoning.
- 5 green bell peppers
- 5 red bell peppers
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 finely minced medium red onion
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons maggi seasoning (without MSG)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (split)
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse all Bell Peppers and cut stem and top off, removing the seeds from the inside. Rinse out inside of Peppers. Place uncut side down in a large baking dish such as a Pyrex or Cruset.
- In a large bowl blend all remaining ingredients but the jar of Marina Sauce and 3 tbsp of the Olive Oil. Blend all ingredients together well using your hands, really getting in there and combining everything.
- Scoop the meat and rice mixture out of the bowl and place inside of each pepper until each pepper is full to the top.
- Drizzle remaining 3 tbsp of Olive Oil atop the now stuffed peppers. Pour the jar of Marina Sauce over the meat and peppers, letting it pool into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 90 minutes.
- Half-way through baking (at 45 minutes) spoon the sauce from the baking dish over the meat and peppers.
- Cool and serve.
- Great with rye bread.