Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful, easy to make casserole that is a family favorite. It looks so good with the tomatoes, peppers and Montery Jack Cheese on top. I make this in an electric skillet. Serve with a veggie or fruit salad and warm rolls and dinner is complete.
- 1 lb ground round or 1 lb sirloin
- 1 cup converted rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- Heat electric skillet to 350.
- Brown beef; drain.
- Put beef back in pan, along with water, bullion cubes, rice, mustard, and onions.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover and cook on med until rice is done and mixture thickens. about 25-30 minutes. About 5 minutes before finished, put tomatoes, peppers and the grated cheese on top to melt.
This was very good. We did change a little -- I don't like tomatoes raw, so I used a can and drained them. I used the juice and added water to the correct 2 1/2 cups. Then added the tomatoes in the dish. DH thought it was a bit salty. We used beef base instead of cubes, so we might cut back next time we make this. This is an EASY and SIMPLE dinner that even the kids liked. It would be very easy to add a vegetable, too. This will be a staple in our home! Thanks again!
This was great. I chose this for Fall '07 PAC. I prepared just as posted and had with a salad and garlic bread. Thanks for posting a great recipe.