Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick, simple supper. My 3 year old ate 6 servings, so I guess its kid friendly too. :) I used a very lean beef that didn't require draining, if you use a fatty meat you may want to drain it before step 3. If you don't want to use minute rice, you can double the water, use regular rice, and let it simmer about 7 minutes longer.
- Dice onion (I like large chunks, you may prefer it smaller.)
- In a medium sized pot, brown ground beef, with onion. (Add a clove or two of garlic if desired.).
- When the beef is done, add the peas and carrots, and 2 1/2 cups of water. Let it reach a boil, and turn heat to medium.
- After about 5 minutes, add the minute rice, and an additional 1/2 cup of water if needed. Simmer for 5 minutes or so, until the rice and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
The whole family liked this. I cooked it with Jasmine rice instead of the minute rice. I just increased the water and cooking time.
Made this for the boyfriend for dinner tonight. Super easy. We spiced up the meat by adding some chili powder, cayenne, and paprika and then adding some jack daniels bbq sauce. it was wicked yummy.
Really quick and easy in a pinch, not much flavor but filling and hearty, my DH added Lawry's seasoning salt and butter and said it was pretty good; and my 1 year old loved it by itself.