Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Everyday Gourmet with Justine Schofield (Australian Masterchef finalist) and fellow contestant Chris Badenoch. Thick meaty ribs on the bone were used. The prep times includes marination.
- Place the beef and soy in a non-reactive dish and marinate covered in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy based saucepan over a medium heat and fry the garlic for 1 minute and then add the cinnamon and star anise and fry for another minute and then add the beef and brown on all sides, you want a high level of criminalization.
- When browned, add the light soy, sugar and beer and stir until the sugar is dissolved and then reduce the heat to low and simmer very gently for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cover and simmer for a further 2 to 3 hours or until the meat is literally falling of the bone.
- Remove the beef from the pan carefully with a slotted spoon, aiming to keep the pieces intact and simmer the cooking liquid over a high heat until reduced and thickened and then return the beef to the pan to heat through.
- Serve with the garlic cloves and drizzled with sauce and steamed jasmine rice on the side.