Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
This is a wonderful, flavourful sauce made with beef short ribs. I love it over pasta but it would be great served over mashed potatoes as well.
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄3 cups dry red wine
- 6 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Sprinkle the short ribs with half each of the salt and pepper.
- In a shallow Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat and brown the short ribs.
- Transfer to a plate and drain the fat from the pan.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat.
- Cook the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and remaining salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, wine and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Return the short ribs to the pan.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until tender, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Transfer the ribs to a plate.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and boil until reduced to about 5 cups, 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the meat from the ribs.
- Dice the meat and return it to the pan.
- Stir in the parsley and simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves.