Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Enjoy, can be made a day ahead.
- 1 1⁄2 kg beef chuck steaks
- 1 stem fresh lemongrass, chopped
- 2 small fresh red chilies, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thickly sliced,extra
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 (425 ml) can coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cut beef into 3cm pieces.
- Process lemongrass, chillies, onion, garlic and ginger until smooth.
- Heat oil in pan, add extra onion and ground spices, cook, stirring, until onion is soft.
- Add lemongrass mixture, cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Stir in beef, cinnamon, torn curry leaves, sugar and coconut milk, simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Remove lid, simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender and mixture thick.
- Discard cinnamon, stick in juice.
This was absolutely delicious. I followed the recipe exactly, apart from halving the quantity of meat, and three of us scoffed the whole lot! Oh, I also added extra curry leaves as I am quite addicted to them! I used a combination of low-fat and normal coconut cream. One suggestion is to soften the extra onion in the oil for a few minutes before adding the ground spices, because I discovered, when cooking them together, it was a bit dry and I needed to add extra oil. We will definitely make this again - it was so easy and tasty, and I was able to put my feet up before dinner as it bubbled away gently. Thanks Terese!
A lovely warming meal for those cool nights. This was a hit with my family - no leftovers at all!! I made the recipe as directed except I used lite coconut milk because that was all I had.Thanks,I'll definitely make this again.