3 hrs 15 mins
This is a lovely asian beef stew.It is meant to be a dry stew but If you want a runny sauce then top up coconut milk during cooking. I add a small tub of cream at the end to make it extra rich. It is always a big hit at dinner parties I also usually stew the beef for around 4 hours so it is melt in your mouth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 liters coconut milk
- 1 1/4 kg beef brisket or 1 1/4 kg beef silverside, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, halved and bruised
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 red chilies, deseeded & chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground galangal
- 1/2-1 cup cream, to taste (optional for runny sauce)
- 1Blend all ingredients for paste with 60ml of coconut milk until smooth.
- 2Put remaining coconut milk in a large saucepan or wok.
- 3Add the meat (cover completely with the coconut milk).
- 4Add the paste from the blender & the rest of the ingredients.
- 5Stir & cook on a medium heat uncovered, simmering for 2 hours.
- 6Cook for a further 30 minutes, stirring frequently as the coconut milk becomes oily.
- 7When thick & brown, stir all the time for approximately 15 minutes until the oil has almost disappeared, absorbed by the meat.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Rendang
Serving Size: 1 (806 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1366.6
- Calories from Fat 1023
- Total Fat 113.7 g
- Saturated Fat 85.8 g
- Cholesterol 226.9 mg
- Sodium 315.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 74.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves