Recipe by Bussles
This is a lovely asian beef stew.It is meant to be a dry stew but If you want a runny sauce then top up coconut milk during cooking. I add a small tub of cream at the end to make it extra rich. It is always a big hit at dinner parties I also usually stew the beef for around 4 hours so it is melt in your mouth.
- 1 1⁄2 liters coconut milk
- 1 1⁄4 kg beef brisket or 1 1⁄4 kg beef silverside, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, halved and bruised
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 red chilies, deseeded & chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground galangal
- 1⁄2-1 cup cream, to taste (optional for runny sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend all ingredients for paste with 60ml of coconut milk until smooth.
- Put remaining coconut milk in a large saucepan or wok.
- Add the meat (cover completely with the coconut milk).
- Add the paste from the blender & the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir & cook on a medium heat uncovered, simmering for 2 hours.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes, stirring frequently as the coconut milk becomes oily.
- When thick & brown, stir all the time for approximately 15 minutes until the oil has almost disappeared, absorbed by the meat.