In ‘Pasta Revolution’ by ATK
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 680.38 g beef short ribs, trimmed
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 29.58 ml minced fresh parsley
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- ground cloves, a pinch
- 118.29 ml red wine
- 793.78 g can whole tomatoes, drained with juice reserved, tomatoes chopped fine
- 453.59 g rigatoni pasta
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1Pat ribs dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- 3Brown ribs well on all sides, 8-10 minutes; transfer to plate.
- 4Pour off all but 1 teaspoon fat left in skillet; add onion and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in parsley, cinnamon, and cloves and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 6Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until nearly evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- 7Stir in chopped tomatoes and reserved tomato juice.
- 8Nestle browned ribs into sauce, along with any accumulated juice, and bring to gentle simmer.
- 9Decrease heat to low, cover, and simmer gently, turning ribs occasionally, until meat is very tender and falling off bones, about 2 hours.
- 10Transfer ribs to plate, let cool slightly, then shred meat into bite-size pieces, discarding fat and bones. Return shredded meat to sauce, bring to simmer, and cook until heated through and thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
- 13Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente.
- 14Reserve ½ cup cooking water, then drain pasta and return it to pot.
- 15Add sauce and toss to combine.
- 16Season with salt and pepper to taste and add reserved cooking water as needed to adjust consistently.
- 17Serve with Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Ragu With Warm Spices
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 802.4
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 150.0 mg
- Sodium 80.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 28.6 g