Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
In ‘Pasta Revolution’ by ATK
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ground cloves, a pinch
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained with juice reserved, tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- grated parmesan cheese
- Pat ribs dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Brown ribs well on all sides, 8-10 minutes; transfer to plate.
- Pour off all but 1 teaspoon fat left in skillet; add onion and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, cinnamon, and cloves and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until nearly evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and reserved tomato juice.
- Nestle browned ribs into sauce, along with any accumulated juice, and bring to gentle simmer.
- Decrease heat to low, cover, and simmer gently, turning ribs occasionally, until meat is very tender and falling off bones, about 2 hours.
- Transfer ribs to plate, let cool slightly, then shred meat into bite-size pieces, discarding fat and bones. Return shredded meat to sauce, bring to simmer, and cook until heated through and thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
- Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente.
- Reserve ½ cup cooking water, then drain pasta and return it to pot.
- Add sauce and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add reserved cooking water as needed to adjust consistently.
- Serve with Parmesan.