Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Family Circle mag January 2007.
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place carrots, celery, onion and garlic in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, mix vegetables, ground beef, diced tomatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, sugar and beans. Add half of each: Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir until combined.
- Place mixture in a 6 quart slow cooker and cook 5 1/2 hours on high or 8 1/2 hours on low.
- Stir in remaining Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- For 8 servings, toss half the meat sauce with rigatoni; serve with grated cheese, if desired. Reserve other half of the sauce for future meals. May be frozen, tightly covered, for up to 2 months.
Thank you SO much for adding this recipe! I haven't made it in a very long time and recently came across it in a drawer. I went to the store and bought all the stuff, then I could not find the recipe anywhere! This is THE exact recipe! It is an excellent and economical meal. My family LOVES it! Thanks!