Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great for a cold, rainy day. Found it on the back of a can and has been a staple in our winter meal rotation ever since. Doesn't freeze well, so plan accordingly.
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs stew meat
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules, dissolved in
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a bag. Season beef cubes by shaking in the bag of flour mixture then brown beef in oil in a large skillet. Remove meat.
- Saute onion, pepper and celery until soft. Stir remaining flour into vegetables. Slowly add bouillon and remaining ingredients and cook until blended.
- Pour all ingredients into a large casserole and bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 2 hours.
- Serve over rice or noodles. Serves 8. (The casserole will look dried out until you stir it up before serving).