Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious with a hint of cinnamon and orange. Diabetic friendly.
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 lbs round steaks or 2 lbs other lean beef, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced green bell pepper
- Heat the margarine in a large non-stick skillet.
- Brown the beef cubes on all sides over high heat; transfer to a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Lower the heat under the skillet and add the onion and garlic; stir and cook about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the large pot.
- Add 1/2 cup water, the parsley, orange zest, rosemary, bay leaves, cinnamon, and salt to the large pot.
- Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Add water if the mixture becomes dry.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the mushrooms and green pepper, stir, cover, and cook about 5 minutes more.
Lorrie, this is well worth 5 stars. It's reminiscent of a tagine so I served it on couscous cooked with beef broth. The cinnamon and orange are subtle yet lend something special and I cant think of anything that I'd change. The flavor is rich and deep and the very lean round steak was actually tender. I'm glad I have leftover for tomorrow. Made for Photo Tag.