Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Use Chianti or Zinfandel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks and blotted dry
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4-inch thick half-moons
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot.
- Add half of the beef; brown on all sides, 3-4 minutes; transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoons oil and brown the remaining beef; transfer to slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the skillet; brown slightly over med-high heat.
- Add the tomatoes and wine; bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits; pour into the cooker.
- Add the carrots, garlic, tapioca, and Italian seasoning to the cooker; cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- Add in salt, pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms; cover, turn cooker to HIGH, and cook for 45 minutes, until the meat, mushrooms, and zucchini are tender.
- Serve in shallow bowls or on rimmed dinner plates.
It was ok, just not spectacular. NurseDi usually has spectacular and this one wasn't. I can't say it was bad but I probably won't make it again. Maybe the leftovers wil be better.