1/1 Photo of Beef Puchero (A Mexican Stew With Hominy & Vegetables)
3 hrs 30 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
I had the opportunity to live near Mexico. I learned to cook many dishes from friends. This is just one type of Puchero. The flavors are more intense if you refrigerate,then heat.Two methods of cooking. For large groups the slow method. For small groups, cut in half or thirds and put all in a pressure cooker. Dinner in less than an hour for fast method.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 lbs veal, cut up
- 1 veal knuckle, bone
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili peppers
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can yellow hominy, with juice
- 2 tablespoons white sugar or 2 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 6 ears corn, each cob cut into 3 pieces
- 6 yellow onions, peeled
- 1 lb fresh green beans, end cuts, kept whole
- 3 turnips, peeled, kept whole
- 6 pattypan squash or 6 crookneck yellow squash, vine end cut off
- 2 large green chili peppers, whole
- 2 hard green apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 fresh lemon, cut in half
- 1Slow method for Large Groups:.
- 2In large stockpot,add beef, veal and knuckle bone. (ask butcher to save you one).
- 3Fill with cold water just to cover, no more.
- 4Add salt, cumin and chili powder.
- 5Cover and cook to a boil for 10 minutes.
- 6Skim the white scum from water.
- 7Add tomatoes and hominy to stockpot with juices. Add sugar. Stir.
- 8In old clean pillowcase or cheescloth bag, layer the vegetables in the order given, starting with corn ending with chili peppers.
- 9Take one lemon half, squeeze the juice out, as much as you can get, place the lemon cut side down.Add the apple slices and squeeze juice from other lemon half.Pul the lemon half in the sack. Close the sack with twist tie or string.
- 10Simmer on low heat for 3 hours.
- 11Dump out the vegies on a large platter and cut in serving pieces.
- 12Serve meat and juice in a large tureen.
- 13Serve with tortillas, mexican hot chocolate or beer.
- 14Fast method:.
- 15Place everything in a pressure cooker except the apple slices. Cook at 15 pounds pressure for 20 minutes. Take off burner and let steam decrease. After pressure is gone, release lid, and spoon out vegetables on platter, serve meat and broth in a tureen.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Puchero (A Mexican Stew With Hominy & Vegetables)
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 682.1
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 168.8 mg
- Sodium 981.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 48.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: