2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Da Huz's Note:
A delicious example of French country cooking. Works with other red meat too (we used elk). Adapted from "The Essential Mediterranean Cookbook" published by Borders. Prep time does not include marinating. Marinate at least 6 hours, but overnight is preferable. Note: see if your grocer has 'bacon ends'. They are cheaper than sliced bacon and are usually pre-cut.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs steak (works well with tougher steaks like chuck or flank)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 carrots
- 1/3 cup nicoise olive
- 4 sprigs thyme, to garnish
- 1Cube the steak to 1" cubes.
- 2Slice the onion and chop the herbs.
- 3Combine steak, onion, 1 tbsp olive oil, half of the herbs, and 1 cup of the wine in a bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- 4The next day, cut the bacon to 1/2" lengths.
- 5Remove beef and onions from marinade, reserving marinade.
- 6Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large, heavy saucepan (dutch oven works well) and brown beef and onions. Do this in batches if needed.
- 7Remove beef and onions, put bacon in the pan and cook until crisp.
- 8Return beef and onions to pan, pour in the reserved marinade, add 1/2 cup wine and cook about 2 minutes, scraping the pan to deglaze. Add tomatoes, the remaining herbs, and the stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 9Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, peel and slice the carrots into coins. Pit the olives if needed.
- 10Add olives and carrots and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- 11Meat should be tender and carrots should be tender but not mushy. Adjust final cooking time as needed.
- 12Plate, then pour a little of the juice over each serving. Garnish with a sprig of thyme.
- 13Serve with potatoes (baked or mashed), roasted asparagus, and crusty bread for mopping up the juices.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Provencale
Serving Size: 1 (614 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 865.6
- Calories from Fat 415
- Total Fat 46.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 217.7 mg
- Sodium 1002.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 76.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: