Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delicious filling, low calorie meal!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 200 g field mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800 g lean beef, diced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, seeded and sliced
- Preheat oven to 170C (340F).
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over high heat.
- Add onion, mushrooms and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Transfer to a large, ovenproof dish.
- Toss meat in flour.
- Heat remaining oil in frying pan and cook beef, in 2 batches, until well-browned. (Don't worry, the beef will catch on the bottom, just add a bit more oil. It will all come off when the stock and wine is added).
- Transfer to onion and mushroom mixture.
- Add tomato, wine, stock and capsicum to frying pan and bring to a gentle boil, scraping up any bits of beef stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add to casserole dish.
- Cover and transfer to oven to 1 1/2-3 hours. Remove lid and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- Serve by itself or with mash potatoes.
Yummy recipe thank you Chelsea. I used my crockpot and cooked on high for two hours then low for two hours. Both my girls really enjoyed this. I served on mashed potatoes. We are having leftovers tonight which I will make into jaffles. Yum!
I have had cravings for comfort foods this week and for me that means creamy mashed potatoes and casserole type meals. This was easy to put together and tasted great. I used topside steak. Thanks for sharing.