Recipe by Sage
This recipe comes from, “I Hate to Cook” by Peg Bracken, a cookbook that dates back to the 60’s. A great recipe! I purchase my roasts (hotel style-deboned and tied) 2-3 days ahead, cover with wax paper and place in refrigerator to further age and tenderize the meat. This is the most requested recipe for anyone who is served this roast at our place.
- 3628.73 g prime rib roast (hotel style)
- 4.92 ml peppercorn, freshly ground
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 (566.99 g) can beef consomme, cold
Directions See How It's Made
- Anytime between 9:00AM and 12 noon, salt and pepper meat. Preheat oven to 350*. Roast meat uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn oven off. DO NOT OPEN oven door.
- Very important for good results!
- I always sealed the oven door with tape to make sure the boys did not accidentally open it.
- An hour before serving, turn oven to 350* and roast meat 45 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let rest on counter top for 20 minutes before carving.
- Bring pan juices to a boil, add consommé and heat.
- Jus can be thickened it a bit with Veloutine*.
- Tips:Serve with deep brown potatoes and a vegetable of your choice. Extra ”jus” and horseradish as accompaniments make the meal sublime.
- For a 10 pound roast, increase second cooking period to 1 hour.
- *Veloutine is an Instant Thickener made by Knorr.