1/1 Photo of Beef Prime Rib Au Jus
8 hrs 10 mins
This recipe comes from, “I Hate to Cook” by Peg Bracken, a cookbook that dates back to the 60’s. A great recipe! I purchase my roasts (hotel style-deboned and tied) 2-3 days ahead, cover with wax paper and place in refrigerator to further age and tenderize the meat. This is the most requested recipe for anyone who is served this roast at our place.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Anytime between 9:00AM and 12 noon, salt and pepper meat. Preheat oven to 350*. Roast meat uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.
- 2Turn oven off. DO NOT OPEN oven door.
- 3Very important for good results!
- 4I always sealed the oven door with tape to make sure the boys did not accidentally open it.
- 5An hour before serving, turn oven to 350* and roast meat 45 minutes more.
- 6Remove from oven and let rest on counter top for 20 minutes before carving.
- 7Bring pan juices to a boil, add consommé and heat.
- 8Jus can be thickened it a bit with Veloutine*.
- 9Tips:Serve with deep brown potatoes and a vegetable of your choice. Extra ”jus” and horseradish as accompaniments make the meal sublime.
- 10For a 10 pound roast, increase second cooking period to 1 hour.
- 11*Veloutine is an Instant Thickener made by Knorr.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Prime Rib Au Jus
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1678.6
- Calories from Fat 1342
- Total Fat 149.1 g
- Saturated Fat 62.2 g
- Cholesterol 331.1 mg
- Sodium 756.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 75.7 g