1/1 Photo of Beef-Potato Empanadas With Chimichuri Sauce
1 hr 5 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
While almost any filling can be used in these first course pastries, beef is still the all time Argentine favorite. From a September 1986 issue of Bon Appetit in the "Bon Voyage" section, featuring Buenos Aries, Argentina. These can also be a part of an appetizer buffet and are baked, not frozen. The chimichuri sauce is also wonderful with plantain chips or served with a steak!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 2 medium boiling potatoes, peeled, parboiled 15 minutes and finely grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3.69 ml ground red chili powder
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 828.06 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml well-chilled butter, cut into pieces (1 stick)
- 118.29 ml vegetable shortening
- 73.94-88.74 ml cold water
- 1For Filling:.
- 2Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- 3Crumble in beef; stir until beginning to lose red color, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add potatoes,onion,chili powder,cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Saute until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes; adjust seasoning and cool to room temperature.
- 6(Can be prepared 1 day ahead, covered and refrigerated.).
- 7For Pastry:.
- 8Combine flour,baking powder,and salt in large bowl; cut in butter and shortening until coarse meal forms.
- 9Mix in enough water to bind dough.
- 10Gather into ball and knead gently until smooth; let rest 15 minutes.
- 11Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 12Roll pastry out on lightly floured surface to thickness of 1/8 inch.
- 13Cut out 5 1/2-inch rounds, using can or bowl as guide.
- 14Place 2 tablespoons filling in center of each; fold in half, pressing edges to seal; gently curve into crescent shapes and crimp edges with fork.
- 15Pierce several times with fork and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- 16Bake until pastries are light brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 17Serve hot, passing chimichuri sauce separately.
- 18For Chimichuri Sauce:.
- 19Combine all ingredients in medium bowl.
- 20Cover and let stand 3 hours.
- 21Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef-Potato Empanadas With Chimichuri Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1806 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.9
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.0 mg
- Sodium 353.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: