Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I developed this recipe a few years ago for a friend that enjoyed Pyrahi with meat. This recipe is for baked pyrahi. I do not boil them. They freeze well after cooking.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size saucepan, add potato chunks and cover with water. Cook until potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Drain well and immediately mash in the saucepan. Add grated cheese and mix until the cheese melts and is well blended.
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil and lean ground beef and fry for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add onions and garlic and continue to fry for an additional 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add beef mixture salt and pepper to the potatoes and mix until well blended.
- Let mixture cool slightly before using to make the pyrahi.