3 hrs 25 mins
Southern Lady's Note:
If you want a delicious surprise away from the basic roast recipes, try this one. I call this upscaled home cooking. The irresistible dill gravy is a HIT and made the meal. Cook on stove top or use crock pot. Pour gravy over each slice of beef and the veggies, then use crusty bread to soak up the leftover gravy.....so good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs beef roast
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons dill weed, divided
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 small potatoes, pared
- 5 carrots, quartered
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 -4 celery ribs, quartered (optional)
- 1 lb zucchini, quartered (optional)
- 1 tablespoon red wine, in gravy (optional)
- 1Mix 1 teaspoon of salt with pepper and garlic powder. Grocery stores sell a seasoning mixture of same, which I use 1-1/2 tsp).
- 2Rub generously over all sides of roast and then coat same with flour.
- 3On med-high in a large dutch oven, heat oil and brown roast on all sides.
- 4In same pot with roast, add water and vinegar (I left out) and sprinkle 1 tsp dill weed over roast.
- 5Cover tightly and simmer 3 hours or until meat is tender. In crockpot, cook 8 hours on low heat.
- 6One hour before end of cooking, add veggies and season with remaining salt & pepper. (optional zucchini, add 20 minutes before end of cooking time).
- 7If using crock pot, remove roast, add veggies, return roast, raise heat to med-high and cook for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, add optional zucchini the last 30 minutes.
- 8Serve with delicious sour cream gravy.
- 9SOUR CREAM GRAVY.
- 10Please meat and veggies on warm platter.
- 11Using a large skillet, transfer 2-3 tbl pan drippings from roast and heat on med-high.
- 12Add flour one T at a time and mix well with drippings. Heat 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 13Using remaining drippings in pot to make 1 cup liquid, adding water if necessary.
- 14Over med-high heat, whisk liquid into flour mixture a little at a time to prevent flour clots. (Add optional red wine now).
- 15Once all liquid is added, bring to a boil for one minute.
- 16Lower heat, Season with S&P to taste.
- 17Stir in 1 cup sour cream and 1/2-1 tsp dill weed; heat through.
- 18Gravy yields 2 cups.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Pot Roast With Sour Cream Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1092.0
- Calories from Fat 646
- Total Fat 71.8 g
- Saturated Fat 30.8 g
- Cholesterol 221.9 mg
- Sodium 1428.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 59.4 g