Recipe by Southern Lady
If you want a delicious surprise away from the basic roast recipes, try this one. I call this upscaled home cooking. The irresistible dill gravy is a HIT and made the meal. Cook on stove top or use crock pot. Pour gravy over each slice of beef and the veggies, then use crusty bread to soak up the leftover gravy.....so good!
Top Review by Dave in Alpharetta, GA
I made this yesterday with a top sirloin roast which I think affected cooking time as my roast really fell apart quite a bit. I also chose to do this in the crockpot as I was going to be out most of the day. The flavor of the sauce was very good but my veggies were slightly undercooked, despite having them in longer than the recommended time. This was most likely user error though because I just threw them on top instead of removing the roast and putting them under the meat. All in all it was very tasty, though I will use a little more salt next time. Thanks Southern Lady for the post!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs beef roast
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons dill weed, divided
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 small potatoes, pared
- 5 carrots, quartered
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 -4 celery ribs, quartered (optional)
- 1 lb zucchini, quartered (optional)
- 1 tablespoon red wine, in gravy (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt with pepper and garlic powder. Grocery stores sell a seasoning mixture of same, which I use 1-1/2 tsp).
- Rub generously over all sides of roast and then coat same with flour.
- On med-high in a large dutch oven, heat oil and brown roast on all sides.
- In same pot with roast, add water and vinegar (I left out) and sprinkle 1 tsp dill weed over roast.
- Cover tightly and simmer 3 hours or until meat is tender. In crockpot, cook 8 hours on low heat.
- One hour before end of cooking, add veggies and season with remaining salt & pepper. (optional zucchini, add 20 minutes before end of cooking time).
- If using crock pot, remove roast, add veggies, return roast, raise heat to med-high and cook for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, add optional zucchini the last 30 minutes.
- Serve with delicious sour cream gravy.
- SOUR CREAM GRAVY.
- Please meat and veggies on warm platter.
- Using a large skillet, transfer 2-3 tbl pan drippings from roast and heat on med-high.
- Add flour one T at a time and mix well with drippings. Heat 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Using remaining drippings in pot to make 1 cup liquid, adding water if necessary.
- Over med-high heat, whisk liquid into flour mixture a little at a time to prevent flour clots. (Add optional red wine now).
- Once all liquid is added, bring to a boil for one minute.
- Lower heat, Season with S&P to taste.
- Stir in 1 cup sour cream and 1/2-1 tsp dill weed; heat through.
- Gravy yields 2 cups.